Have you ever had poached pears? They are just the most simple and elegant dessert, not to mention…romantic. No matter what your plans are for Valentine\’s Day, these pears should be on your “to do” list.
You can use any pears you want, but I like to use bosc pears because they are so pretty. Bosc pears are in season now (during the fall and winter months), so this is prime time.
Poached pears are also great for entertaining. It\’s one of those fuss-free desserts that has huge impact. Serve it with whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or just as it is in all its delicious.
- 4 bosc pears
- 1 bottle red wine (750ml merlot)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of one lemon
- Rinse pears and cut 1/2 inch off of the bottoms
- Add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, vanilla, lemon zest and sugar to wine
- Simmer for 5 minutes on medium low heat
- Carefully add pears to wine and simmer for about 20 minutes
- Let pears cool in poaching liquid and place in refrigerator over night (preferably at least 24 hours)
- When ready to serve, reserved poaching liquid can be be reduced (boiled for about 20 minutes) to thicken and generously poured over the top of the pears.
- Garnish with lemon zest as desired