One of the things I love about summer is the ability to throw together a dinner salad in no time at all. That’s just what I had to do a few nights ago when a day of errands and shopping turned into, “Now what’s for dinner?”. It would have been easy to pick up something on the way home but with all our travel, birthday celebrations and summer entertainment lined up, I like to save calories where I can.
This salad is everything. Kale from the garden, paired with fresh roasted corn, shrimp and avocados came together so nicely.
Oh, and this salad is a “dump and toss”. So take a look at the ingredient list and then put in the desired quantities as you please. Don’t worry, you can do it. It’s hard to mess this up.
Just please, please whatever you do…don’t overcook the shrimp.
- 8 oz shrimp
- 2 heads kale
- 1-2 ears fresh roasted or grilled corn (cut off cob)
- ½ red pepper (cut into strips)
- 1-2 avocados sliced
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- pear (or other fruit balsamic) vinegar (for drizzling)
- extra virgin oil for drizzling
- 1 bunch chives
- *crumbled queso fresca
- Saute corn, red peppers and garlic in butter for 1-2 minutes
- Add shrimp, salt, pepper and remove from heat as soon as the shrimp turns pink
- Add chopped chives to shrimp and set aside
- Tear kale into bite sized pieces
- Add shrimp to kale
- Toss with desired olive oil and vinegar
- Top with sliced avocado and crumbled queso fresca as desired